Series: Mistborn Trilogy, #1
Rating: 5 / 5
Goodreads
Review:
The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson is a series I have been hearing so much hype about for the past couple of months. Ever since learning about the magic system and the concept of the book I have been wanting to get my hands on this trilogy. I absolutely love fantasy and was so excited to get into a new high fantasy world by an author I had never read before. I was not at all disappointed with this book, and it definitely deserves all the hype that it has been given. If anything my expectations were surpassed in every way possible. I was simply blown away and could hardly form thoughts when I was done because I was so stunned at how amazing this first book was.
The magic system is probably my favorite part about this trilogy. It is so unique and different from anything I have ever found in my reads so far. It is a bit of a complicated system, in that the metals you ingest correlate with the kind of magic you can use, which can get a little bit hard to follow if you are not paying attention. I am not going to lie this book can be a bit overwhelming with the amount of information and concepts you learn throughout the story. But in my opinion, it helped a lot that you were with a character who was also learning about this system and learning each ability. She was constantly working on her magic and you got to see how her body used the metals.
The world building was great and you are given the sense of how dark this world is with the writing. The society is stratified between nobles and skaa. Skaa are the lower class, they are the workers, slaves, servants and the people who are constantly treated horribly. Some parts in this book can be a bit graphic which I was not prepared for, but these scenes definitely added to the sense of cruelty seen throughout the story and gave you a better understanding of how meaningless the life of skaa were.
I loved all the characters that we see throughout the book, they are all so different and they come together and make this perfectly entertaining group. Our main character is Vin, she is a young skaa thief who finds out she is an Allomancer, having the ability to "burn" metals. She ends up meeting Kelsier, who is also an Allomancer, and he helps her learn about the power she has.
Now there are two different types of Allomancers in this world. There are Mistings, who are Allomancers capable of burning only one type of metal. Then there are Mistborns, who have the ability to burn all the 8 basic metals. Vin and Kelsier are both Mistborn, which also helps us get a very good understanding of all the metals and the powers they provide. The other members in the group are all Mistings but offer a very important role in the group they have put together. I love all the character interactions throughout the book, they all bring different personalties to the table, and I love being able to see a fun groups like this, especially in such a dark work. These characters offer the perfect comic relief to some of the things we see.
I highly recommend y'all read this book! The first half is a lot of learning and world building, but once you get past that part the action never stops. I promise you it is all worth it! It is a perfect book and a fun, interesting world to read about. I am super excited about reading the rest of the trilogy!

No comments:
Post a Comment