Series: A Darker Shade of Magic #1
Publication: February 24, 2015 by Tor Books
Rating: 5 / 5 Stars
Goodreads Summary
Review:
I am not at all surprised by how much I loved this book. I've heard so many wonderful things about Victoria Schwab, and I was not disappointed with this as my first pick of hers to read.
Kell is a great main character. He is the last few Antari, aka Travelers, known to exist, and is from Red London where magic thrives. He lives a conflicted life not really knowing where he belongs, but playing the part he believes he is suppose to. He is powerful, curious and has a bad habit of smuggling items between London's which is forbidden. He ends up getting himself into a lot of trouble when he transports something dangerous, and is taken on a journey he never expected to be a part of. I found him to be a very interesting character, especially while learning more about the magic he uses. He definitely has some internal struggles with the life he lives throughout the book and that develops a lot, especially when he meets someone who doesn't have half of what he does.
Delilah Bard, our other main character, is just awesome. Lila is a thief from Grey London, the London where magic does not exist. She is a cross-dressing, wanna-be pirate who seeks adventure. She is independent, brave and smart and manages to get entwined in Kells mess. Through force, she is able to tag along with Kell and get the adventure she has always wanted. Lila is a great character with a lot development and is so much fun to follow. As much as I love Kell, she is probably my favorite character in the book. But my favorite parts to read are definitely her and Kells interactions, they are opposites in so many ways and it is funny to see the way they react to each other throughout the book.
In addition to fantastic characters, the world building in this book is perfect. I was a little worried at the beginning because we are given a lot of information and it seemed a bit overwhelming, but I quickly got past that because we jumped straight into the story after the first 20-30 pages.
The three London's that we deal with are different not only visually but in the feel you get in each one. The writing really helps express this and is so beautiful. I love the way Victoria writes, she uses such fantastic imagery and her dialogue is on point.
If you have yet to read a book by Victoria Schwab, I definitely recommend giving her a try. I will be reading the rest of her books very soon. And Especially if you have not read this book I definitely suggest doing so, it is a fun adventurous book that anyone will enjoy.

No comments:
Post a Comment